Enemas are best performed by a doctor. But if due to some reason you don’t want to go to the doctor and want to perform it at home, below we have mentioned a step by step enema instructions to perform enema at home.
Things you will need:
- Enema kit
- Empty floor space to lie down
Steps to perform enema (enema instructions):
- To perform an enema at home, the first thing that you need is an enema kit. You can ask your physician or pharmacist for a recommendation. Also, get a jar of petroleum jelly if you are worried about the discomfort.
- To perform the enema you need enough floor space to lie down; it can be either in your bathroom or an empty room near the toilet. Keep the towels handy as you will need them.
- Also, keep a clock or watch within your sight to make sure that you are using the enema for the stipulated time. This way you can be sure of its effectiveness.
- Remove the cap from the tip of the nozzle.
- Before putting the nozzle up in your rectum, apply some petroleum jelly on the enema nozzle as well as your anus to prevent any discomfort.
- Lie down on the floor on your left side with the right knee bent. Put a rolled up towel under the right knee for added support.
- Now gently insert the nozzle into your rectum. You may feel little uncomfortable but it should not hurt you. If you experience severe pain during the procedure, you should stop the procedure immediately and call your doctor.
- Once you have inserted the enema nozzle completely into the rectum, allow all the liquid to move up the anus. Make sure the container is empty.
- Now slowly retrieve the nozzle from the anus and put the kit aside.
- Wait for the stipulated time which could be anywhere between 2 to 15 minutes.
- Once you have waited for the stipulated time, evacuate the bowels.
- Even after evacuation stay close to the bathroom and don’t leave the house for the next few hours.
- If you are using a disposable enema bottle, dispose it off accordingly. If you are using a bag kit or stainless steel kit, make sure to sanitize it properly before putting it back.