Castor oil has several health benefits and has been used for centuries to cure a wide variety of health conditions. The most common use of castor oil is for improving the hair growth and not a lot of people are aware of its laxative properties.Castor oil has several health benefits and has been used for centuries to cure a wide variety of health conditions. The most common use of castor oil is for improving the hair growth and not a lot of people are aware of its laxative properties.
How does it work?
Just the way an enema solution is injected into the colon via the rectum, a castor oil enema is also infused in the body from the anus. The castor oil activates the bowel movement. When water along the castor oil is infused in the colon via the rectum it causes an irritation in the lower bowel. The patient is allowed to lie on the left side, this way the lower part of the bowel comes under the rectum and allow a better flow of solution into the colon. The enema solution should be held for the stipulated time before getting it out of your system along with the fecal matter.
To perform a castor oil enema you need the following things:
- 2 oz. castor oil (the temperature should be 103 degrees Fahrenheit)
- 2 grams warm filtered water
- Enema bag or enema bulb syringe
- Petroleum jelly
Mix the castor oil and water thoroughly and pour the contents into an enema bag or an enema bulb syringe. Lie down in a comfortable position, in your bathroom preferably. Keep some towels handy just in case you need them. Lubricate the tip of the enema nozzle as well as your anus. This will ensure that the insertion is much more comfortable and painless. Turn to your left side and slowly insert the enema nozzle up your anus. Administer the enema solution and then hold it for the stipulated time. After the lapse of 5-10 minutes (depending on for how long you can hold the solution) sit on the toilet and release the enema solution along with all the fecal matter.
While releasing the fluid, gently massage your stomach to get rid of all the fluid content as well as to comfort yourself.
Things you need to take care of when performing a castor oil enema:
- The tip of the enema tube which is to be inserted in the rectum should be smooth and flexible.
- The process of enema is not suitable for kids and should only be performed on adults.
- After performing a castor oil enema, it is ideal to perform a castile soap enema to wash out any remaining oil from the previous enema session.
- The best time to perform an enema is during the night time.
- Do not apply force. If you are experiencing any pain while inserting the nozzle, do not exert any pressure.