Mineral oil enema is often used for getting rid of occasional constipation. It is a lubricant laxative which works by minimizing the absorption of water from the stool thus allowing a smooth passage. Mineral oil enema is often used for getting rid of occasional constipation. It is a lubricant laxative which works by minimizing the absorption of water from the stool thus allowing a smooth passage.
Before you use mineral oil enema, make sure that:
• You are not allergic to the ingredients.
• Do not have appendicitis or blockage in your intestines
• Are not bedridden
If you are suffering from any of the above-mentioned conditions, make sure to get in touch with your health care practitioner beforehand.
How to use a mineral oil enema:
You can use the mineral oil enema as directed by your doctor or follow the instructions mentioned on the pack.
• To start with the mineral oil enema, lie down on your left side. Bend your knees and let your arms rest comfortably.
• Remove the protective shield from the enema tip before inserting it into your anus. With a steady pressure insert the enema tip into the anus. For a more comfortable insertion, you can bear down and mimic the position as you would take during a bowel movement. This helps in relaxing the muscles even further.
• Once you have inserted the tip, squeeze the bottle until all the solution is administered. Just follow the instructions as mentioned on the product until and unless prescribed by your doctor otherwise.
• Remove the enema tip and retain the solution for the stipulated time.
• Make sure to take the enema at least 2 hours before going to the bed.