Enemas are best performed by a doctor. But if due to some reason you don’t want to go to the doctor and want to perform it at home, below we have mentioned a step by step enema instructions to perform enema at home.
Things you will need:
• Empty floor space to lie down
Steps to perform enema (enema instructions):
1. To perform an at-home enema, the first thing that you need is an enema kit. You can look online for the different types of enema kit available or you can also ask your pharmacist or physician for a recommendation. Also, don’t forget to get a jar of petroleum jelly to avoid any sort of discomfort.
2. To perform an enema you need enough space to lie down. It should preferably be performed in the bathroom, but if there isn’t enough space in the bathroom you can perform the enema in a room which is closest to the bathroom.
3. Also, keep a watch or clock near you to keep a check on the stipulated time as enemas are most effective when retained for the stipulated time.
4. Take off the cap from the tip of the nozzle before inserting it.
5. Before inserting the enema nozzle up your rectum, apply some petroleum jelly on the enema nozzle as well as the anal area to prevent any discomfort.
6. Lie down on the floor on your left side with the right knee bent. Put a rolled up towel under the right knee for added support.
7. Now gently insert the nozzle into your rectum. You may feel little uncomfortable but it should not hurt you. If you experience severe pain during the procedure, you should stop the procedure immediately and call your doctor.
8. Once you have inserted the enema nozzle completely into the rectum, allowing all the liquid to move up the anus. Make sure the container is empty.
9. Now slowly take out the nozzle from the anus and put the kit aside.
10. Wait for the stipulated time which could be anywhere between 2 to 15 minutes.
11. Once you have waited for the stipulated time, evacuate the bowels.
13. If you are using a disposable enema bottle, dispose it off accordingly. If you are using a bag kit or stainless steel kit, make sure to sanitize the enema bag kit or stainless steel enema kit it properly before putting them back.