Castor oil is a common ingredient when it comes to beauty and hair treatments as it has great therapeutic value. Another common use of castor oil is as a laxative to treat constipation. Consuming 1-2 tbsp. of castor oil for easing constipation is a common remedy; though doctor’s discretion is necessary. Another way of using castor oil for treating constipation is by performing a castor oil enema. Below we have mentioned how you can use castor oil to perform an at-home enema easily.
Why castor oil helps in easing constipation?
The reason why castor oil works perfectly for easing constipation is that castor oil is made up of 90% ricinoleic acid which is a fatty acid. This fatty acid clings to the muscle cells of the intestinal walls and causes peristaltic movement. This movement of the colon pushes the accumulated waste out of the body.
Benefits of castor oil enema
A castor oil enema has the following benefits:
• Lubricates the rectum and the colon
• Prepares the colon for high volume enemas
• Relieves bloating and gas
• Eases out constipation
• Softens the hard stools
• Reduces other symptoms which are a result of excess Vata dosha
Administering castor oil as enema
• Warm castor oil- 2 tablespoons
• Warm water- 90-100 ml
• Enema kit
2. A castor oil enema should be performed on a full stomach, preferably after having lunch. This is because during this period the ability of the body to absorb nutrients is at its peak.
3. Combine the castor oil and water in a bowl really well. Transfer this concoction to the enema bulb.
4. Choose a suitable place to perform the enema. You can perform the enema either in your bathroom or even your bedroom. Spread out a towel on the floor to lie down and also use a folded towel to place under your head.
5. Use a lubricant to lubricate the nozzle, as well as your rectum with Vaseline for a smooth insertion.
6. Lie down on your left side and your right knee bent. Take the enema bulb and insert the nozzle into your rectum.
7. Press the bulb and release the contents in; take out the nozzle slowly.
8. Try to retain the oil enema for 12-15 minutes.
9. After retaining the solution for the stipulated, go to the toilet and release all the contents.